Tuesday, October 27, 2009

You Can’t Talk the Work into the Kiln….

Wouldn’t you know it, as I move along this path that I’ve found myself on, I’m beginning to rethink how I look at this colloquial bit of wisdom. While it’s true, you’ve really gotta do the work to fill the kiln, I’ve been spending a bit of time learning about the flip side, that is, that there’s an awful lot of talking that needs to be done to empty the kiln out.... like it or leave it, it’ll be a constant vocation that comes with the job. (I don’t remember this on the job description!) So to the old saying, I’m chalking on one more line,

You can’t talk the work into the kiln….… but you sure better be ready to talk it all out.

Amen

P.S. Thanks for the support this week everyone! Your input and feedback really helped pull a few projects together.

3 comments:

Robert Young said...

Hehehe... I don't know... I think the best part is emptying out the kiln. You get to see if the results are what you expected - or something totally un-expected! It's kind of like waiting to open Christmas gifts.... I can't wait to open the kiln to see what's inside!
Loading on the other hand... I soon realize that I haven't produced very many pieces, when stacked up with all the student's work. *Sighs*
Oh well, that's the breaks when you are teaching 125 students a day... At least I get to hit the wheel during lunch! Ever notice, though, how fast 45 minutes goes by on the wheel?

FetishGhost said...

125 students! That's production teaching.

Robert Young said...

Yeah, now if I can teach them to all make the same thing at the same time, I will have a regular factory going! Hehehehe...
I have 5 classes of 25 students... 55 minutes per class gives them time to re-wedge their clay, and let them feel somewhat productive. It took a week and a half for their pinch pots, and another 2 weeks for their coil projects. Now they are working on their slab boxes. All projects are under 4.5 inches high - kiln furniture restraints and all.

Oh! By the way, what glaze would you recommend for a VERY dark chocolate brown clay, with a high iron content? IT turns all my glazes to a matte mud color. So far I have only had success with smoking them black like Maria Martinez. Let me know...