Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Standing on the Roof

I spent Monday holed up sorting and shooting pieces from the kiln loads of work that didn’t head out with us for last weekend’s event. This is all done in “the dungeon”. I must have had a moment of unknown foresight when I dubbed it, because it’s a musty dirty cramped space with no light or electricity except for my 220 line. I have to run a cord from the studio to bring in my light for shooting. Originally, the thought was that the dark would be the best controlled situation for shooting work in. Now, I’m not so sure, but I’m lazy and having a photo set-up always set up helps make a chore a bit less of a bitch. On that note, the powers that be must have been listening in… after hours of sitting hunched over and grumbling in the dungeon the day before… the rain came. Not good. We live in an old house with what they apparently call “French Gutters”. If this is how the French make their gutters, I’m amazed their civilization hasn’t caved in by now along with all of their roofs. It’s literally a tarpapered ditch running the perimeter of the house with tiny little drain holes feeding crazy bendy downspouts. I’m assuming that it was Friday when they put in the downspouts because there are 2 spouts that are strait forward. They are strait as possible and they work. Boring yes, but they work. Now the other 5 were obviously after lunch affairs and the pint or 3 or whatever they were smoking really shine through, they obviously felt much more pulled to make things interesting. There are bends everywhere. They are works of art… but they don’t work. They plug up. In a down pour, the tarpapered ditch overflows and begins to run under the shingles and into the house… that’s bad. My job in a big storm, with gusts ripping limbs off of trees, is to man the ditch and keep the pipes clean. You do get very very wet and it is pretty darn cold, but it is a great view of a storm!

Serves me right for grumbling about sitting in my musty basement.

Here’s a few of the shots with dots...




3 comments:

Unknown said...

Zygote, this is Kris the guy who came by your booth Sunday with my wife Ana and our 2 year old son Jackson. First I want to thank you for your beautiful gift(could not wait to get home and drink my nightly tea from your mighty drinking contraption) That is now sitting next to me in my pottery studio as I write this not). Secondly I would like to thank you for providing me with some much needed inspiration. Your work is one thing to look at on a blog but something incredible to see, hold and feel in person. It truly great meeting you and your fantastic family. I look forward to getting together someday in the future since you are just a town or two over. Kindly Kris Brown (mrkrisbrown@gmail.com)

Anonymous said...

fantastic pots joel... i totally dig them, especially the third one down. you couldn't have planned the way that crawly glaze crawled on that one... beautiful. funny story about the gutters... sometimes i think they were drinking and smoking when the built every part of my house. if i knew then what i know now.

FetishGhost said...

Thanks for stopping by last weekend Kris, That really made the event for me! It was cool to connect with a fellow mudhead and it would have been even better if we could have wondered off for a beer or 2. Next time eh?