Friday, December 23, 2011

Off the Shelf

Pulling pieces for this year's Smash Pot Day. I'm going through the boxes and shelves of finished ware that's accumulated and thinning the herd.

Each still has it's story...


This was one of my favorites from 2008. 
This was the example peice that took a perch in the studio for a few seasons.

It was a simple chawan, but it was a racer!

I loved it's foot, I loved it's propotions, I loved it's balance, but it was the incredible optic surface that did it for me.
The success of the surface was a test glaze combo that turned out to be a freak occurrence. I threw a whole bunch of work at trying over and over to duplicate the results, and it only worked a few times, the rest was hammer fodder. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have a pile going for my own Smash Pot Day. Friends and family gasp 'No!' when I tell them these pots will soon be shards. I try to tell them it's therapy. Sometimes ya just gotta smash something... well, that and I don't want to look at them anymore. Happy smashing! :)