Saturday, June 4, 2011

Playing with Chun

Question marks are what keeps things interesting when we play with glaze and fire. Tara brought this glaze into the studio. It's a Laguna Chun.


It's a semi-opaque glossy glaze that is transparent when applied thinly.
The first test went through the kiln gave a translucent finish.
This time through it did something very unexpected...

It's just a guess, but I'm thinking a reaction to the iron in the clay body and a long heavy reduction started bringing out the reds, or maybe it's just the cobalt acting in a way I haven't seen before, I'm just shrugging on this one.

2 comments:

am said...

I suppose, there's a little bit of copper carbonate in this glaze.

FetishGhost said...

This is one of the reasons that I normally work with "in-house" glazes. I need to know what is actually in the glaze to make it dance. Otherwise I'm left guessing.