Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Bets Are In

In last Saturday's post I asked if anyone thought that the slight reducing atmosphere inside a badly vented electric kiln might reduce the iron in laser jet decals. (Toner decals seem prone to turn brown-red in electric kilns.)
Dan Finnegan had the correct answer... it wouldn't make much difference...

The accidental extra long bisque firing did create a small number of craters in a few of the glazed surfaces. The surface had a few pinholes in the glaze already, but I planned for those, (I like these pinholes, they are buttery and soft. They add to the finished surface.) The craters though are sharp edged. (Not good) I've recently started sanding the craters and filling them in with a pre-made low fire glaze that is then refired. (Very good) So far I like the results, but this is still a new angle...

2 comments:

Dan Finnegan said...

It's always nice to be right once in a while! Too bad about the blisters...is it only where the slip is?

FetishGhost said...

Naw... The blisters were hit and miss among the ware on the top shelf, I couldn't see any definite pattern.
I'll sand off the tops of the craters and blisters and fill them with a low fire yellow glaze for refiring. This solution looks great when it works...