Monday, March 15, 2010

Laguna Cone 6 Calico

The fired cone 6 Laguna "Calico" clay body has a look I've been dreaming about for a while. It's the floating iron flecks (or whatever they are) that I'm fixated on, they help add a depth and richness to the finished glazed surface that needed to see.
The downside is that the bare clay burns to a very very rough surface. I like a smooth foot, but this clay has tooth! That's an apology waiting to happen...

Sandpaper rubber cemented to a bat offers a quick solution.


A few seconds of wet sanding and...

Butter smooth!

5 comments:

Mr. Young said...

What is the grit # on that sandpaper? Love the look of the clay though, with those specks....

Bert said...

That's nice. I may need to try that instead of Laguna's speckled clay that I use now. The specks, as you say, give a depth to the glaze. I've started combining with another clay because there are too many specks for my taste in the Laguna alone. I haven't noticed a surface as rough as yours looks, but the specks do come to the surface and I use a stone to smooth it out.
The mugs here have Nutmeg on the Laguna clay.

lazybpottery.com

Kim Hines said...

love the specks, i've always had a thing for speckled pots. i'm not sure i'd be able to put up w/ grinding the bottom of all my pots though.

Unknown said...

I'm a big fan of speckled clay too... although in Iowa, I can get my hands on Amaco #480 Stoneware easier than Laguna, for some reason. They stock it at The Art Store and will order a whole pallet for me if I want. I've grinded down the rough surface with a bit on my Dremel tool. :)

Unknown said...

Beautiful glaze on a lovely clay. Did you use a wax resist method?