Friday, October 24, 2008

And Now... For Something A Little Different...



Even after 8 years of living in Stockton, I'm amazed... the weather is so beautiful and wonderful in Northern California right now. Fall is definitely here. The leaves are turning and falling, the chimneys are beginning to churn out my favorite fall smells, and our morning family walks to the school bus are beginning to have a chilled edge that helps wake us up (the cups of hot chocolate help make the darkened walks something to look forward to). Every single day this week has been so amazing that I was driven out of my studio and into my Gardens on the Delta Community Collage Campus to get my fall, winter, and spring color in and lay down seed.
If you love thinking with your hands, this job is over 3 acers of heaven.

When I took over these gardens they were FILLED with chest high weeds. Rather than spraying I chose to comb out the weeds by hand literally inch by inch. Completely worth it. The campus shredded a handful of massive redwoods and now I've got 3 bus sized piles of shredded trees to mulch my beds with.

Almost a year and a half later, I can actually have students work out in the gardens without getting so frustrated that they leave, and now it's even becoming the garden of "Love". Some mornings I have to hit the sprinkler system to chase out enthusiastic short term residents.
Yea... I know... So what, but my thumbs are rest'n in my arm pits and I've got a rye stem wedged in between my teeth. Liven is good.

God I LOVE my job!
COOL!

4 comments:

TotusMel said...

Beautiful.

Graciela Testa Lynt said...

Indeed, what beauty!

Shakti said...

That's just beautiful. I'm with you...good old getting down and dirty instead of spraying.

Hyla said...

Love the new blog layout!

~Hyla