Saturday, April 27, 2013

Did Picasso Have an Artist Statement? Part 2

Pablo Picasso
"STATEMENT TO MARIUS DE ZAYAS," 1923
(the first few lines of the note...)

"I can hardly understand the importance given to the word research in connection with modern painting. In my opinion to search means nothing in painting.


To find is the thing.

Nobody is interested in following a man who, with his eyes fixed on the ground, spends
his life looking for the purse that fortune should put in his path. The one who finds
something no matter what it might be, even if his intention were not to search for it, at
least arouses our curiosity, if not our admiration."
 

4 comments:

Armelle Léon said...

Sorry, I took one word for another, the meaning of statement was status for me, well anyway I didn't know that Picasso had spoken about his work.
Very interesting moreover.

Anonymous said...

I am an art teacher in Utah. I came across your blog a few months ago. During our last parent teacher conference I tried to ignore parents and read through your blog and look at your work. I really like the nutmeg cone 6 glaze. Do you have a certain firing schedule that you use for you cone 6 glazes?

Thanks for taking time to write your blog.

Matt Hyde
Bear River High School

claydancer said...

I love your profile pic! You have been a big influence on me and my work. Thank you for sharing so much wonderful knowledge through you blog!

Armelle Léon said...

Thank you so much again, I did a translation in french, hope it is good enough.