Monday, September 12, 2011

Back On the Learning Curve

Finally made the move from the deep dungeon in the basement. A mournful spot that has been my lair for shooting works for the past 4 years. Now I'm breathing easier in a more roomy part of the dungeon. This is part of a long, long overdue revamping of the photo booth based on Michael Coffee's set-up. Nice...
I needed and wanted (mostly wanted) to see the works finally shot using a graded backdrop. Very nice...
The impetus for making the jump has been Larks Books call for submissions for Prints on Clay with a September 15th deadline.
The big hurdle hasn't been the work, it's the tech.
No JPEGs just TIFFs.
It's taken nearly two weeks to get something (that now seems simple) to a point that I think (and hope) that it just might be presentable.
 Gotta keep push'n.
Submit to print.

7 comments:

Linda Starr said...

good luck, love the first photo and pot.

Laura Farrow said...

the work looks great. good luck.

claydancer said...

Wow this really gives some added zing to your already gorgeous work. I think I might change my photo set up. I've had a graduated backdrop but have been wanting to change to the neutral gray. Now that I see your photos I think I might have to make the change. Yippie!

claydancer said...

P.S. Did you put gold luster on the lip of the cup on the bottom. Looks lovely.

jim said...

hi joel,
that lily's a cutie. i saw that post by michael and was gonna try it too. i was unclear whether you purchased a gradated backdrop and used it or if the gradation in the pics is simply the result of the setup. regardless the photos look excellent. of course the pots look excellent also, i partial to the first and last ones. you should be a shoe-in for the prints on clay book.

FetishGhost said...

Jim, the gradation is simply the result of the set-up of the overhead reflector. It's simple, its easy, and I think it looks pretty darn good. I've got the overhead reflector on a make shift hinge so I can raise and lower it to accommodate a variety of scales.

FetishGhost said...

Hey Kelly,
I really, really like using the gold luster too. What a great accent, I'm just reluctant to use it...
Try Micheal's set-up. It really works amazingly well.