Sunday, May 24, 2009

Creating a Paper Stencil Part 2

Here is the second part of this weeks demo...

The first part is in the previous post. It shows the technique I use for cutting out 30 to 40 stencils at a time. I do this by cutting my design out of a billet of newsprint sandwiched between sheet plastic using a jewelers saw and bench pin. I can actually get 60 to 80 stencils out a a single billet if I plan my design around the cut, using both the positives and negitves in a design.

This clip shows how I apply the stencils to create a composition. It goes on to show the slip being applied and the paper being peeled away revealing the surface design.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a great video! I can't wait to go back to do pottery: you are inspiring. Thanks so much for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

cool series... those jeweler's saws come in handy, and what about that red flash on the finished piece, beauty

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

Great demo! Really nice work. Look forward to future posts!

cookingwithgas said...

thanks! Posted below as well-