Sunday, March 1, 2009

March Cairn

I've been patiently letting this winters cairns dry over the past 2 months. Three of Decembers cairns were dry enough to begin working their way though the kiln earlier this week. Even with long slow bisque, I was waiting to hear the "PoP!" in the middle of the night. The bisque was Wednesday, and I fired off the second leg of the project last night. This was the first glazing for the 3 works. One was designed as a multi-fired piece, needing at least one more trip through. Another has options... involving decals and a re-fire. The 3rd is what's shown here and might stop at this point, or I might try a low-fired blob of lipstick red crowning it's top. That's the problem with sculptural works... lots of fidget room.

2 comments:

. c h o k l i t . said...

Love the textures on this. And I love your description of the process. Makes it somehow mythical - like these cairns are undergoing a parallel journey to the seasons - emerging from the dank of winter and coming out stronger and alive for the spring...

Anonymous said...

Excellent blog post.....I like it