Sunday, January 30, 2011

Whiffed Weekend...

Getting old is scary stuff, apparently not for the faint of heart.
My health took a spooky downturn Saturday and most of today... whew!

It made for a balked start on the glazing... and unfortunately I whiffed on everything else this weekend as well...

Sorry everyone.
Your understanding made dealing with being laid-up easier.

This afternoon, I did get to unload Friday nights' kiln load of experimental work and now I'm left looking at everything coming out with my eyes crossed trying to figure out how I feel about the results.
I seem to have gotten into the habit of challenging my own sense of aesthetics. It's hard to compare the forms and glazes I've grown used to seeing in print with the blisters, pits, and blue & brown forms that are coming out of the studio kiln.
The surfaces are fun to explore and the forms have grown on me, but I still can't help wondering what's coming next and whether I should even compare my apples with someone else's oranges... darn it, I like oranges.

3 comments:

TantMossig said...

I think your new lidded jars are fantastic, both the shape, color, patterns and expressions! Sure, there are a lot of fruit in the basket, to be tempted by ...

Unknown said...

Today the meditation quote from the Artists Way (which I am now reading daily) is: "The heart of the journey is the mystery of joy" ~ Yes!
You are on a wonderful journey- keep it up :)

carter gillies said...

Sorry to hear you are laid up. Hope you get better soon.

I find your willingness to challenge your sense of aesthetics very inspiring. You really seem to be quite fearless, and I admire that. You don't just make great pots but you also don't settle for the easy way out. You don't sit still for too long, but continue to look in new directions and uncover interesting surprises. I'm so glad you share this adventure of yours on this blog. Its fascinating and inspiring. Keep up the good work!