Thursday, January 20, 2011

Peep'n Different

This Paragon kiln has something I hadn't really seen before and hadn't really given much thought to.
The Peep hole starts out like a standard hole... about and 1 1/2"
but this tapers down to a bit over 1/2" and I can't see a cone pack well enough through the peep at  "white heat" to make diving by pyrometric cone even possible.

Test, adjust ,test, adjust... repeat

I've always taken for granted that I'd be able to check my cone packs to help me get a good look at where I'm at relative to the heatwork being done in the top and bottom of the kiln.

But with this kiln I can't... meh.

The up-side is that it cools amazingly s-l-o-w-l-y... wait, that might be a downside... Hmmmmmmm.

4 comments:

ang design said...

a gentle blow into the spy hole can help cool the area around the cones enough to see for a few seconds or use a metal rod to suck the heat away form the cone pack...just make sure you wear glasses....dust in your eye burns!!!

FetishGhost said...

I can't see in this little bugger, it's tapered down too darn small to get a decent peep in, Doh!

Ross Munro said...

Soft brick is so workable, you could bore out the taper. You were kidding about reusing the cone pack, right? Its already registered a good deal of heat work.

Tremendous blog and nice work!

Tracey Broome said...

I have an Olympic with the same small peeps, can't see a thing. I have a friend with one and she drilled out the holes, and uses ceramic fiber for her plugs. Since I mostly bisque, fir 04 and raku in mine I just go by the pyrometer, works for me so far.