Thursday, August 12, 2010

SharkSkin White

Maybe it's the way I work, but I'm starting to think that a disproportionate amount of the new surfaces that pop-up in the studio are the results of accidents rather than planned tests... honestly, everything that goes through my kilns are tests, but some things really do surprise me and this is one of them.
It's a simple electric cone 6  EggShell White recipe that I've used on and off for a few years now, the only difference is that it's been fired to a flat cone 4 and the result is rather extreme. At cone 4, this glaze is very much a texture bomb. It feels like shark skin... As long the is lip is functionally glazed, this is a fantastic surface for the hand to enjoy.
I'll post the recipe when I can actually once again fire this mix to the intended temp. Until then I think I'll personally test this for a week or two.

3 comments:

ang design said...

wow diggin the closeup v noice...

jim said...

totally dreamy surface joel... this lovely sharkskin makes me think i need to run two profiles (or more) on the kilns computer... one with the fire down and one where it just shuts off because the fire down has a tendency to soften effects.

FetishGhost said...

Hey Jim, I'm a becoming a big advocate of the crash cool. I didn't realize how much my cooling cycle affected a lot of my glaze pallet until I saw how your fire down cycle affected the finished surface of the crawl glaze that went through your kiln last fall. After a bit of testing, I've realize nearly all my glazes are just as sensitive, particularly my translucents, but that was pretty much a given...