Friday, July 30, 2010

Friday MugShot

I finally got a found a few moments to mix up Steven Young's black inlay slip for incised bisque ware pulled from Ceramic Arts Daily, and give it a whirl. I have made a few changes to his recipe... instead of using XX Sagger fireclay, I did a 1:1 substitution using Glomax, a calcined kaolin. This was just to mess with something and possibly help with fit, but mostly it was just to mess with something.

I also decided to mess with the colorants, forgoing the recommended oxide additions and just add Best Black Maison Stain 6600. Steve's recipe added 16% oxides to the mix and I matched this in a 1:1 ratio as well.

Steve's process of using incised bisque for inlay seems to work very nicely. Simply paint on the slip. Roughly scrape off the majority of excess. Use a green 3M pad to knock off the most of the remainder, and finish by simply wiping with a damp sponge.

Easy... took all of 3 minutes the first time through.

I'm totally curios to see how this fires off... stay tuned!

3 comments:

Sloan said...

will you glaze it as is or do it in another bisque fire first before glazing?

Sloan said...

BTW Steve's link is not working (404)

FetishGhost said...

Thanks Sloan for letting know about the broken link... Fixed...
I have 4 cups that I'm testing this slip inlay on. 2 will be rebisqued and 2 will just be glazed as is.
Inquiring minds need to know.