Friday, March 5, 2010

Spring Vases

It's nearly spring again and it's time to get around to throwing a few flower vases to celebrate the new blooms popp'n up in my gardens. The vase above was one of my favorite peices from last spring. Unfortunatly I only had just enough time after it was pulled from the kiln to photograph it before it needed to be delivered to the "Expressions" show just down the road in Tracy. It was sold and I never got to spend any time with it... I really liked where it was headed so figured it's as good of time as any to revisit the idea again and see what happens. Now it's this weeks model for a 3 piece series of stacked and thrown vases.

I still have a way to go to get these 3 over the finish line, but hey... it's fun to make the run.

5 comments:

Liz said...

they are beautiful. I struggle with Vases. I am a potter, was married to a potter, and am an avid Gardener , but can't make a vase that I am happy with. I have one of my exes, and it is perfect for russian giant sunflowers. but beyond that, nada.
your forms are beautiful, decoartion is edgy and fun. LOVE it

Mr.Young said...

I like the shapes. You say these are done in two pieces? Would like to see you do that. Still trying to find an available wheel here - no luck.

Anonymous said...

hi joel, that's a lovely vase that you sold right away, i like the satin-y finish. i also like the low shoulder on that shape... dreamy.

cookingwithgas said...

I would love to see another start to finish.
Great piece!

claydancer said...

You have been working on some awesome work lately. You and your kids rock with the stop motion demos. Lots of fun, kind of like performance art.