Monday, February 15, 2010

Working in the BoneOrchard


Spent the weekend running a new cone 5 clay through the studio. For my cone 5-6 electric work, I use a white smooth bodied clay, (Laguna B-Mix) and a medium bodied red (Laguna RedStone). I 've habitually used these 2 bodies to develop and explore explore my pallet.


I'm looking for a course buff clay so I'm starting with Laguna Calico. it threw well and stood strong while forming larger canisters.
The real test will be how the clay reacts to slipping and glazing though. On that end, this gave me an excuse to cut two new stencil design sets that had been bumping around in the back of my head all week. One is a leaf and stem motif that's worked into the background. I like how it worked out... The second is a geometric design that's to be used for a decal project.

4 comments:

Kim Hines said...

oh, i really like the leaf cups, i think they could be my favorites so far. be sure to let us see how they turn out! :)

deanandmartinpottery said...

Hey man thanks for the great comment on our blog. I really am glad if the work made you feel good that is what it is all about.
I just checked out your new post and I wanted to tell you that this stencil work is really cool. The designs are very now and I think this is a great direction.Keep up the wonderful work and good luck with all your endeavors.

Anonymous said...

cool stencils... looking forward to all the testing results.

Linda Starr said...

Boy I've got the coarse buff with the sculpture 50 clay I am using, reddish wet, but dries to a buff, too new to detail the particulars though, it comes from IMCO. Looking forward to seeing your paper resists.