Sunday, February 21, 2010

Hamberger Yo-Yo


Well like many potters this week, after volgger/potter Ron Philbeck posted his series of video posts on making closed form canisters, (part 1 and part 2). I just had to revisit and reminisce my way though this project. This was one of the first projects that my old ASU professor, Randy Schmidt, gave my class as a way to introduce creating a lid and galley from a closed from. This is basic stuff that, quite honestly, I had forgotten about while I ran around reinventing a few wheels.


The form Ron outlined is like an old familiar jazz riff, there are regional aesthetics involved in the form that he presented... but the fun of all of this is all about making changes to the riff and standing next to the work that comes off the wheel.

Thanks Ron for setting me off in a new direction.
Stay tuned...

5 comments:

Ron said...

Totally cool. Love your jars can't wait to see them finished.

Dan Finnegan said...

I was thinking that there must be a word for the phenomenon that certain blogs inspire...Ron's lidded pots being the most recent example. Maybe it's 'blog-spiration'? I like yours. And your blog startled me when you mentioned ASU and Randy Schmidt. I spent one memorable year (1976/77) in that department along with Don Schaumberg and Jeanne Otis Fronske. When were you there?

FetishGhost said...

My wife and I inhabited the studio 97 and 98 under Jeanne Otis, Randy Schmitt, and Kurt Weiser. Don didn't teach any more... but he still had a little office in the back and would come in and get one of us youngsters to do some throwing for him so he'd have something to try out a new raku glaze recipe on.

Mr. Young said...

I love it! I follow your blog, and others like it, for this very reason - to learn new techniques and styles! It is such a simple and easy way to come up with a fitted lid with gallery. I can't wait to pass on good stuff like this to high school students. You are all great teachers in your own ways. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

those videos of ron's seemed to hit a sweet spot. i thought they were cool and an easy thing to try and several people are already doing some. makes me wish i was throwing right now. i like the new orchid design.