Wednesday, April 20, 2011

See'n Nothing but Potential

Just look at that glassing of that liner glaze dripping over the rim... this is why I love running new tests. The liner on this is a Cone 10, Orielly White Matte glaze. It's new to me, but I really like it. It seems to play well with the flashing wash that being tested.  (Tennessee Ball Clay.)

Nice peeling, eh?

This Flashing wash actually works well, (well... it works well sometimes), I just have to figure out how it works and why.
For me, this is why studio ceramics is so much fun, play, test, adjust. Each load is a gamble.


Learning from the losers is what makes things interesting.
This was applied too thick and fired too wet without being allowed to completely dry. With the high amount of clay in the mix, it just shivered off.  Gotta let it dry completely... can't let the surface boil... I think.

5 comments:

Hollis Engley said...

Yeah ... "I think" is often the most definitive judgment possible ...

Hobby Potter said...

This is also why I enjoy it so much! You really never know what you are going to get...even if you "think" you know, you're never 100% sure. That element of surprise!

Judi Tavill said...

So cool though... Keep going. I have to see more.

jim said...

hi joel,
that is one crazy but cool glaze surface. i agree that it just drips with potential. regardless the blue/white/orange combo is playing well

julietteisdead said...

Looks like it's trying to shed its skin. Neat.